Winter is here with enough bite to freeze the slow beating heart of almost any Vampire.
My mom used to say to us “Don’t stop your heart or your blood will freeze.”
It is one of those things we have to think about, sometimes. I don’t recall ever telling my own children that, or any other “new” Vampires.
Funny how one thinks of those sayings.
The first bat of the night is a wish. The next is a kiss.
Bad blood is only in the soul.
Dance from dusk to dawn then sleep as if there is no sun.
As a mother (in the 1850’s and 60’s) with a rather large brood of young vampires (4 boys and 1 girl) my mom took advantage of the holidays in a big way. It was her time to celebrate and bring out the cheer. She was glad to get rid of the musty old gloom of the old days and embrace the Modern Vampire movement.
At the same time a young artist named Thomas Nast created the iconic image of the American Santa Clause. Old Saint Nick was pretty awesome, but Santa was one of our own.
Yes, Santa Clause is a Vampire – that is a fact:
- He knows when you are sleeping. He knows when you are awake.
- He only comes out at night.
- Nobody ever sees him.
- He has been around for centuries.
- He can see in the dark.
- Red is his favorite color.
- He is jolly (hey, we’re jolly).
- He likes kids.
- He is an icon of popular culture.
- He knows who has been good and who has been bad.
- Despite his size he can get in and out of any building.
- He can make animals that normally live on the ground fly.
- Dogs and cats like him (all animals like Vampires because we understand them.)
- He makes people happy (don’t argue this point. Check my previous posts.)
- He rocks the red suit!
An interesting fact that all teens should know (and their parents): Thomas Nast was only 19 when he started to create illustrations for Harper’s Weekly. Let that sink in. He was only 19. Let that inspire you.
Plus Thomas Nast rocked the facial hair.
So if you see that jolly old elf this Christmas season shake his hand and know that it isn’t the weather that is making that hand cold.
~ Juliette aka Vampire Maman