I got a call at about 2:00 a.m. this morning.
“Three major days: Friday the 13th, Pi Day and The Ides of March ALL right in a ROW.”
“Do you remember the first Ides of March?” I had to ask. He remembers so much of his days as a Roman.
“I didn’t hear about it until months later. I was in Britain by then. I was in love and didn’t have any desire to go back to Rome.”
The person on the other line (as you might have guessed) was Tellias, one of the Elders, and ancient Vampire who is a bit over 2,000 years old.
About 45 minutes later he was at my house and we were making pie for Pi day.
None of us were feeling like anything sweet so we went for savory.
Savory Cheese Pie
- 1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (we like the sharp kind)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup baking mix (like Bisquick but we don’t care what brand we use)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup French-fried onions (optional or choose some walnuts or something like that if you like.)
This should be called Half Cup Cake for all of the half cups of everything in it.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Grease 9-inch pie plate.
- Stir together cheeses and bell pepper; spread in pie plate.
Stir baking mix, milk and eggs until blended.
- Pour into pie plate; sprinkle with onions or whatever savory topping sounds good to you. Sun dried tomato bits work especially when mixed in with the cheese. You can also add fresh tomato slices on the top after it is cooked.
- Bake about 35 minutes or until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes.
- Serve with a nice salad of baby greens, dried cranberries and balsamic vinegar.
I opened a couple of bottles of Spiced Poet’s Blood and made a pot of tea as well.
Tellias and Eleora (his true love since the late days of BC), my husband Teddy and I all had a lovely time. Clara was with her Grandmama last night but we saved them some. Vampires don’t eat as much as Regular folks but when we do we tend to like more savory things and we always like cheese. Cheese rocks.
So happy Pi Day everyone and have fun.
~ Juliette aka Vampire Maman