Rather than resolutions for a new year, I used to write down predictions for the coming year and seal them in an envelope.
It could be anything from world news events to a romance involving a friend. Crazy, total fantasy or something very predictable – it didn’t matter. There were no limits to what could be written. It was usually my brother Val and me who did this. We once brought in a friend who tried to make it into something mystical and way too serious.
It wasn’t mystical at all. It was like a Ouija board where you know somebody is pushing but everyone giggles with shock over the messages from the spirit world.
No, it was just us putting down stuff on paper and sealing it up for a year.
The funny thing was that, no matter how outlandish or silly, 90% of all of the predictions came true. Huh.
OK that is that story. No dramatic music building up behind me and a dramatic twist. Maybe we were just good at observation. Maybe we were just lucky.
But what about resolutions? You know, those things we say we’re going to do to improve our lives and the lives of others. I dare not admit to the long list of things I plan on doing each year but end up not doing. It is easier to give up something for Lent (but I’m not Catholic so I don’t give up anything for Lent either, but the idea behind it is good if done with the heart and not out of a sense of mindless duty.)
Ahhhh. That could be fun. But please no mumbo jumbo or fortune-telling. No spirits. No grand illusions. No wishing for the impossible. No wishing at all – just predicting.
Just gut reactions off the top of your head. Add in a few funny ones. Add in a few wishful ones. Add some silly in there too. Then seal it up and forget it for a year.
- I predict that someone I know will become a famous writer. I predict more than one will make their mark in that circle.
- I predict that it will rain in March… for a week… or two.
- I predict that another dog will come into my life.
- I predict that I’ll attend an unexpected wedding.
- I predict that my children will do well.
- I predict that something extraordinary will happen in Congress.
- I predict that it will be a good year.
- I predict that an old rocker will make a real comeback with someone fairly new.
- I predict a week at the beach.
- I predict art – a lot of art.
- I predict finding treasure of some sort.
- I predict that someone close to me will do something very stupid but funny at the same time.
- I predict that the space program (NASA) will come back in full force.
- I predict that there will be a Volcano go off in North America – south of Alaska.
- I predict that I will see a bear (but I hope not too close.)
- I predict beautiful dresses and shoes to match.
- I predict my brother Max will finally get “it” right.
- I predict all Vampires I know will get exactly what they deserve.
- I predict that someone dear to me will find true love.
- I predict that my nails will always look good in 2014.
- I predict that there will be an amazing discovery in Louisiana.
- I predict that a planet with life will be found.
- I predict that Juliette aka Vampire Maman and Modern Vampires will become part of the popular vernacular.
- I predict that everyone will read my blog.
- I predict that my readers will retain their sense of humor, sense of wonder and any good sense they have.
Those were pretty random, but that is how it is supposed to be. That is what makes it so much fun.
I didn’t seal this in an envelope or keep it private… but this is just to give you an idea. Try it. Have fun. Happy New Year.
~ Juliette aka Vampire Maman