At my house, after we carve our Jack-o-Lanterns, we roast the pumpkin seeds.
Contrary to popular opinion Halloween isn’t great for Vampires due to the over abundance of sugar. I’m not kidding. We don’t handle it well. So it makes sense that pumpkin seeds are the perfect Halloween treat (other than fresh blood but that is a different post).
Some methods of roasting pumpkin seeds are full of steps. Well step no more. This isn’t the fox trot or Dancing With The Stars. It is just pumpkins seeds. It is EASY.
Juliette’s Way to Make Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Clean seeds after removing them from your pumpkin. Just scoop them out with your hands or a spoon. Remove all the gunk. Rinse them off.
- Spray your baking stones or pans. I use either my thousand year old well used black and beaten pizza pan or a well seasoned stone (I used to have a Pampered Chef stone but somebody broke it). I have better pans that I use for other things – but the old ones seem to work better for this sort of thing.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F
- For 3-4 cups of cleaned seeds mix in a couple table spoons of olive oil and season to taste. I use a lot of garlic and a touch of seasoned salt. And why yes, Vampires DO eat garlic. But mix up your flavors with herbs, chili powder or Tobasco sauce. Whatever floats your ghost.
- Spread seeds on pans (one layer) and bake for 25 – 60 minutes. It all depends on how wet your seeds are. Figure it out as you go along and check every 10 minutes or so. When seeds are dry and crisp take them out. Feel free to taste while you cook (the sign of a good cook). PLEASE keep checking so you don’t burn the seeds. They will be dry and crisp when ready. And I mean dry, not chewy like an apple, but dry like a potato chip.
This isn’t a recipe for the exacting anal cook but it always turns out wonderful pumpkin seeds for me.
Clean out your pumpkin.
Carve it. Admire it. Smile because it is so happy and scary!
Clean your seeds.
Turn oven to 300 F.
Season and mix.
Put seeds in the oven.
Go admire your Jack-o-Lanterns.
Nom nom nom! Seeds are ready and crunchy and yummy! And good for you!
~ Juliette aka Vampire Maman