I haven’t done famous bulleted parenting lists lately so here we go…
All families are different. We all have different parenting styles. That is ok with me. That is because I know all kids are different. And in the end if we love them and teach them to be smart and educate them they’ll turn out ok. If we talk to them and they know we’ll listen to them they’ll be ok. If they know they’re safe with us, their parents, they’ll be ok.
A few things kids should know:
- Some people start out with charmed lives and make stupid mistakes.
- Some people start out with charmed lives and make smart choices – but tragedy befalls them.
- Some people are just stupid.
- Some people claw and fight their way to the top and then have charmed lives.
- Some people realize that they can change.
- Some people don’t.
- Sometimes it takes a long time to become someone you like and admire.
- Some people never learn that.
- Some people are stupid when they’re young and grow out of it.
- Some people learn from their mistakes.
- Some people never learn.
- Some people always seem to be lost.
- But most find their way.
- Not all people or families are like yours.
- That isn’t a good thing or a bad thing – it is just a thing. Maybe more of a good thing because it keeps us from getting bored and boring.
- Don’t get involved with things that piss people off and will end up hurting you in the end (extreme politics, mommy wars, religious wars, cults, hero-worship, obsessive fandom, self mutilation, eating contests, dating slugs, etc etc etc.) Yes, there is a reason why things piss people off.
- Mind your manners. Respect the right of others to express their opinions.
- Don’t be a follower. You don’t have to be a leader, but never be a follower.
- Don’t wait for him to make the first move.
Those are the things we need to discuss with our children and young adults. It is easy to be thrown into the world to flounder. Sure we need to make our mistakes and learn from it all, but wouldn’t it be easier if kids had the right tools and a little bit of help. By help I mean guidance. By help I mean someone to talk to.
Werewolves tell their children to “Howl at the Moon!” That is good advice for anyone. Sing your song loud and clear. Sing the song of who you are and what you are – even if you are singing alone.
Have a good summer everyone (even if you’re sticking around here with me.)
~ Juliette aka Vampire Maman