The Best Muffins Ever And A Visit With Grammy.
friend) Austin’s house to drop off muffins for his Grammy. She loves muffins, especially the ones I make. Austin and Grammy are Vampire Hunters, but they only go after the bad ones. I’m not a bad one. In fact I’ve had them help me out a time or two but that is a different post.
I know you might think it odd that I’m making muffins, being a Vampire and all, but I DO make the best muffins. I don’t eat them but I love the smell and I love the joy they bring. Just like my husband Teddy becomes the cookie baking king this time of year.
When Teddy was a child, a long long long time ago, he would make cookies with his mother and their cook. Now that he is a Vampire (since 1875) he still bakes cookies this time of year. Hey, we’re spreading the joy.
Next I stopped by my friend Adam’s house to drop off muffins for his 88 year old mother. She loves a good muffin. Aside from being a scary talented photographer, Adam is also a Werewolf. Sure were friends. Why not. You know all the peace on earth goodwill to all thing. Why shouldn’t we be friends.
While I was baking my kitchen filled with Ghosts who just wanted to smell the muffins as they came out of the oven. I put a few on the plate so they could sit next to it and bask in the goodness, imagining what it would be like to eat one. Always let Ghosts smell your cooking, and your coffee. That keeps them from throwing stuff around and haunting you in the middle of the night. Good cook are never bothered by Ghosts.God rest ye merry Werewolves
Let no howling in the fray
Remember I made muffins
For now and Christmas Day
To save us all from growling
And that you won’t be a stray
Oh tidings of Vampires and joy
Vampires and joy
Oh tidings of Vampires and joy.
Blueberry Lemon Muffins
Best Muffins You Have Ever Had
Juliette’s RecipeMakes 10 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar (this is just regular white sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (don’t be tempted to be overly healthy and use olive oil – do not use olive oil or walnut oil – use some sort of vegetable, canola, or corn oil)
- 1 egg (chicken egg – do not be tempted to use an emu egg or a dragon egg, or fish eggs) If you want to go vegan or whatever substitute a 1/3 cup of smashed banana or apple sauce for the egg.
- 1/3 cup milk. I’ve used almond milk and it works just fine.
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (if you don’t have blueberries use chopped up apples or cranberries)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (add nutmeg too if you feel so inclined)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners. In fact, seriously folks, don’t even bother with greasing the muffin tin, just use muffin/cupcake papers.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Don’t over mix – just make sure it is all mixed in nicely then STOP.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Fill muffin cups a little bit over the top (nobody likes flat muffins), and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
- Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup COLD butter (chopped up in squares), and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork (or your hands), and sprinkle over muffins before baking. You should end up with small peas sized bits of butter covered in flour/sugar mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.
I usually fill 10 muffin cups.
Variations: If you don’t have blueberries, or don’t feel like blueberries chop up an apple (no peel) or pear (no peel), or add fresh cranberries. You can also add chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and nuts if you feel like it. I’ve even made these with well drained finely chopped fresh nectarines and strawberries. Add anything you want (I don’t recommend meat or beans.) You can also use frozen berries but make sure they are room temperature and well drained. You may also exchange the lemon zest for orange zest.
Wishing you all comfort and joy,
~ Juliette aka Vampire Maman