I treasure my time in the car with my teens. It is time to talk about anything and everything. This morning the news was on the radio so the topics were wide ranging.
What we talked about:
- An exhibit in a Vienna Museum titled “Nude Men” from 1800 to the present drew a group of 60 men who stripped down to view it. In a special after-hours tour, they viewed the exhibition in nothing but socks and shoes. The tour guide was dressed. We thought it was funny.
- Headline: Guilty Plea From Jesse Jackson Jr. Over ‘Lavish’ Spending; Wife’s Plea Next
Jesse Jackson Jr and his wife had EVERYTHING. And it still wasn’t enough. It was just last Friday, when Jackson Jr. was charged with misuse of campaign funds and word broke that he was expected to plead guilty. The Chicago congressman had resigned his seat last November — shortly after winning reelection — as allegations grew that he had used campaign money to purchase, among other things, a $43,000 watch, a $4,600 fedora once worn by Michael Jackson and $5,000 worth of furs.
Plus he has such a famous dad. What is wrong with people? Really?
My kids were not exactly sure who these people were, but my son said, “He purchased a watch for like $43,000. Imagine what a public high school could have done with that money.” Yes, imagine.
Why do people in the public eye, who can make a difference have to be such greedy assholes? This is something my kids get angry about. It is something we can’t understand because it is something we’d NEVER do. What is wrong with people?
- “OfficeMax Incorporated and Office Depot, Inc. today announced the signing of a definitive merger agreement.” This kids for some reason found this interesting because we buy school supplies but we usually go to Staples because it is closer to our house/schools.
- The fog, but it was gone before we got to the end of the street so that was the end of that topic of discussion.
- Love and the fact that people are looking for shallow perfection (the kids brought this one up). They also talked about how being desparate is such a turn off. Clara said “Sure if a guy is nice and clean I’ll talk to him. He doesn’t have to be over the top handsome. But if he is creepy, smells bad or tries to pick up on me I’m not saying anything.”
- Coyotes. They were out last night at the park near our neighborhood. There will be a lot of pups come late springtime.
- Donuts would be nice but we can’t have them. Sigh. But we can smell them. On the other hand there is always coffee and cheese and finding some good donors on Friday.
- Then we talked about music. When you live around teens it always comes back to music.
Then I dropped them off and was on my own and off to my own work.
Wishing you all good morning conversations. And as always, there is nothing more I value more than time talking with my kids.
~ Juliette aka Vampire Maman
By the way…this is the 350th post on Vampire Maman. Feel free to look back at some of the old posts so you won’t miss any of the fun!
And yes, my children and husband are always correcting me for using “bad words”.