Face it – kids like to snack, especially teens. Unfortunately our vampire kids can’t process a lot of gluten or carbs or processed sugar. For an special treat try these very special brownies. Perfect for packing in a lunch box or carrying along in a backpack!
Red Velvet Carob Brownies
The other kids will never know our vampire secret to these yummy treats
- 1 cup gluten free flour (we like millet)
- 1/2 cup carob powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup honey (this is a big splurge. If you child can’t eat honey try Splenda or Agave Nectar)
- 1/2 cup blood (light processed)
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 5-6 drops red food coloring
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Mix the flour, carob powder, salt, and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Stir the honey (or substitute), blood, cream, vegetable oil, and egg together in a separate bowl. Add the honey mixture into the flour mixture, and stir to thoroughly combine; pour into an 8×8-inch baking dish (I recommend you spray it first).
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out gummy rather than wet, about 45 minutes. Allow to cool before refrigerating overnight for best results.
We usually add chopped mixed nuts as well. Walnuts and dry roasted peanuts are super yummy.
For more on school lunch ideas and nutrition see this earlier post: https://vampiremaman.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/school-lunch-ideas-for-the-middle-school-vampire/