Things you need to do with your teen.
You know right off the bat I’m going to talk about talking with your teen. TALK WITH YOUR TEEN. DO IT. NOW.
Movies you need to see with your teen:
- The Gift
- Easy A
- Schindler’s List
- Princess Bride
- Nightmare Before Christmas
- The Lost Boys
Click on the movie titles above for information about the movie (and so you’ll see the right movie)
Must do things to do with your teen:
- Take your teen to a concert. Not something YOU want to see. Not something you THINK will be culturally enriching. Take them to see a band THEY listen to. Go to a smaller venue. Listen to the music before you go. You might like it. You might like it a lot. Click HERE for guidelines. Click HERE too and HERE.
- Take your teen to Van’s Warped Tour. If you’re the parent who buys the ticket you get in free. What a deal. I saw seven bands that I liked. There were dozens more.
- Take you teen to the an orchestra concert. Even if you don’t have a major Symphony or Philharmonic orchestra in your area, most communities have excellent community groups. Many high schools and colleges have orchestras. Take advantage of this wonderful opportunity and GO. Yes, this is the cultural education. You’ll have fun.
- Go to the zoo. Zoos aren’t just for little kids.
- Take your teen to a vintage clothing store and try stuff on – both of you. Boys and girls. Rock the vintage stuff.
- Tell your teenager a bad joke every single day. Laugh out loud. Pretty soon they’ll be laughing along with you.
- By the time our children get to high school and college the family pets are ancient senior citizens. Keep the love going but make sure you are there for your kids when the four-legged members of your family move on. It sucks but it seems like most teens live with ancient pets – well-loved ancient pets.
- Cook with your teen, even if you’re a Vampire. When they get into college their roommates will love them if they can cook. Everyone loves a good cook.
- Go for walks at least twice a week. It gives you a chance to talk and spend some quiet time together. No phones.
- Go to a baseball game. Any team will do – professional, high school, college, T-ball. It is all fun.
- Go roller skating.
Talk to your teen about:
- Sex (if you aren’t responsible enough to use protection you are not responsible enough to have sex. Sex is normal but just because you are physically able to do it you might not be emotionally ready. High School is a fun time – don’t complicate it with sex. Yes, the conversation is easy. Don’t lecture, just discuss and let them know they can come to you and trust you for good fact based answers)
- Birth Control (Don’t be silly, cover your Willy. AND ALWAYS use birth control. Even if your kid is not sexually active have this conversation because when they go off to college they WILL become sexually active and they need to know how to be smart about it.)
- Diet: Eat right. Don’t pack on the pounds with the Starbucks Ultra Thick Carmel Chocolate Mocha Bomb every single day.
- History: You don’t know where you are going until you know where you’ve been. Talk about your history, your Uncle Duff’s history, George Washington, or anything that has happened before the year your child was born. Tell them about the old days before personal computers and copiers and cable TV. Tell them about MTV when they actually played music. Tell them about seeing The Rolling Stones in concert when Keith Richards was hot (they won’t believe you so you’ll have to show them photos.)
Watch silly YouTube videos with your teenager.
- SMOSH Teleporting Fat Guy
- Anything with cute animals
- Famous Rap Battles of History
- Short horror films
- Make-up tutorials
- More cute animals
- Music your teen likes
- Music you like
Alright, that should have filled up your brain and your time. I’ll have more later.
What would you add to the list? What do you and the teens in your life do together? Let us know.
~ Juliette aka Vampire Maman