When a child under the age of 6 or 7 asks a rude question we can brush it off as the innocence of youth. But, when an adult asks rude questions or says rude remarks it just makes them look stupid, insensitive and just plain mean. Not to mention it makes them seem like bad parents.
Their mouths open and rude things just spew out like so much sewage. They have no idea of how them might hurt someone, and how badly it makes them look. On some levels being rude is just another way of being a bully.
I’ve been having this discussion with friends on and off about rude things people ask or say so I’ve made some lists of “What Not to Say ANYTIME”. And don’t be shocked. These are real things we’ve heard people say.
Note: For example purposes all references to a child will be LuLu or Rand. And of course I know none of my regular readers would say rude things like the examples I give below. It is just a list (I like lists. Like to make them. Like to read them.)
Things never to say to people with children:
- Why do you only have one child? Variations include: You need to have more sex. Only one child? It’s selfish to only have one child.
- Why don’t you have more kids? Answer: None of your f__ing business.
- Won’t little Rand get lonely if he doesn’t have any brothers or sisters? Why no, he has a lot of friends.
- Only children are selfish children. Not true. Go away.
- Why do you have so many children? Answer: Go away.
- Which is your favorite? They’re children not flavors. Go away.
- What is wrong with LuLu? Variations: Do you get money from the state for her? Shouldn’t she be in a facility for kids like her. Yes, people who say things like that SHOULD be shot or at least slapped silly but that is illegal so just tell them “I love my child and I don’t wish to discuss her with you.”
- Isn’t that ________________ (sport, activity, camp, club, school) expensive? I could never afford THAT. Answer: Just walk away.
- I’d never let MY child _______________ fill in the blank. Good for you. Now go away.
Things never to say to people who don’t have kids:
- Why don’t you have kids?
- Can’t you have children?
- Why don’t you want kids”
- Isn’t that selfish?
- Who will take care of you when you get old?
- Well I guess if I didn’t have kids I’d be taking vacations to Europe too.
- All of the above are rude things to say.
Things never to say to your single friends, especially those over 40.
- Why didn’t you ever get married? Answer: None of your f____ing business.
- I have someone I want you to meet. He but he hates cats. This is to the friend with 3 cats. The friend who has always had cats. The friend who WILL always have cats.
- Life isn’t complete without a mate. Really? That is both rude and wrong on so many levels.
- I wish you’d find someone. Answer: Well so do I, so why are you rubbing it in?
- Are you gay? Honest to God I can’t tell you how many single people I know who have been asked this question. There is nothing wrong with being gay or single. There are gay single people. Gay married people. Gay dating people. Get over it.
Things Never to say to Cat Owners:
- I hate cats. OK this is the story. The cat is sitting in the front yard watching bugs. Then the cat goes inside and eats, Then rubs up against my leg. What is there to hate? And why do you feel compelled to say you hate MY CAT? I’m not asking you to take it home with you. Go away. You can also exchange cat with dog, horse, rabbit, parrot, fish, husband – some people are just RUDE.
Things never to say to someone on a romantic date:
- My sister is coming with us. This usually translates to “my sister who is nuts and talks non-stop and is so weird that if you look up weird in the dictionary her photo will be there.
- Have you ever thought of doing something about your thinning hair? Who told you this is a sure fire way to get a guy into the mood? There is nothing wrong with thinning hair on men. It is natural. It happens. Get over it.
- You’d be perfect if you lost about 10 pounds. And you’re sleeping alone tonight Mr. Romance!
- Anything about your ex. That includes ex wives, ex girlfriends, ex husbands, ex boyfriends, ex lovers of any kind. Don’t talk about how badly your kids are doing either. That is also a sure fire turn off. And don’t use the excuse of being “honest”. That doesn’t fly. It is RUDE to do an emotional dump on someone who wanted to spend the evening with YOU and NOT everyone who has ever done you wrong.
Things Never to Say to a WORKING MOM:
- I stay home with my kids because they need me.
- I get to volunteer at the school 3 days a week so I’ll know what my child is doing.
- Before you know it they’ll be grown and you’ll have missed out on everything.
- I always go to my 10:00 work-out class when the kids are at school.
- All of the above is just rude. Period.
Things Never to say to a Stay-At-Home Mom
- Why don’t you have a job?
- Don’t you get bored?
- Don’t you wish you had your own money?
- You don’t work so why don’t you have time to go to the gym?
- You’ve wasted your college education.
- All of the above is just rude. Period.
Things Never to say to a child that isn’t yours?
- How much money does your dad make?
- Who did your parents vote for?
- What are your grades?
- Do your parents spend a lot of money on ____________________?
- It seems like there are a lot of people who try to find out financial information about people they know through the children. And tell your kids not to answer any questions about money or other private family matters.
Things never to say to a Vampire:
- Why aren’t you wearing black?
- Show me your fangs?
- Do you sleep in a coffin?
- Aren’t you worried about eternal damnation?
Things to never say to a Werewolf?
- Do you eat people?
- Do you have fleas?
- When you take a bath do you smell like a wet dog?
- I’m allergic to dogs.