Every summer we hunker down on the couch on Tuesday and Wednesday nights for America’s Got Talent. My husband used to hate the show but now he watches it with us. But there is an addition… we’re not drinking Snapple. Teddy makes cocktails.
I’m bringing this feature back from time to time, maybe two or three more times this season out of tradition. This was one of the features that got this silly blog going. I don’t know if it was for AGT or Teddy’s Cocktails or just people wondering WTF when they saw I was posting a “Vampire Parenting Blog.” Who knows, be we’re all here now. We’re still here, and I’m glad that a lot of you are still here after my first year and now onto my third year of vampiremaman.com.
Warning the following blog is extremely opinionated and don’t try to push me in a correct moral direction according to whatever. I’m a Vampire. This is a flippin talent show on TV. I don’t care. Get over it. We might not agree but this is my blog.
As for the rest of you… Big group hug. I’m glad you’re here. On with the show!
So far this year it has been a sort of mild mixed bag. There was that prissy annoying asshat who was bound and determined to give rollerskating a bad name. The kids immediately took a dislike to him. THANK GOD he was voted off the show. I hope the door slammed him in the ass on the way out.
There was that pathetic girl who used “mental illness” as her reason to get votes. My teens informed me that she performs all over the place and has all kinds of fans without the “my mental illness” pity party going on. Don’t get me wrong – I am a STRONG advocate of mental health education, support and understanding. THAT is why I don’t like it when I see people use it as a marketing ploy. She exploited the audience with her sob story in a cold calculated way that made me sick. The girl couldn’t sign worth a shit either.
I am also tired of the endless parade of children being whipped into shape to salsa dance for egotistical sadistic dance studio owners. Does anyone else see the exploitation of these kids not to mention sexploitation. I have no problems with the other children on the show. All (except that annoying piano brat boy who had marginal piano skills) have been exceptionally sweet, cute and talented. I wish them all the best.
This year there are no big stand out acts like Prince Poppycock. Everyone is pretty tame, but fun. It is all fun. If it wasn’t we would be watching it. Yes, it is silly. One can only be serious for so many hours of each week. One can only read so many literary novels, only listen to so much smooth jazz or only watch so much Charlie Rose.
Alright then, now on to the show and cocktails! Let’s have some wholesome family fun.
Summertime Vampire Lemonade
- 2/3 strawberry lemonade
- 1/3 vodka
- Enough ice to cover
- Let it chill for a minute
If you want blood in your drink I recommend a nice chilled Marin County Mystery Writer Blood. Dave’s Wine & Blood is having a sale this week if you get a case.
So far our favorite acts are:
WAIT… I like all of them, except for two of them (the salsa sleaze and the weird girl who do acrobatics to her own drawings) But if I had to pick so far…
- Sons of Serendip
- Blue… oh you know, the dancers (Look it up. They’re great)
- David & Leeman
- Miguel Dakota
- Mat Franco
- Emily West
- Audrey Moran
- Christer Stoiney and his cute little dog
- And all the rest except the two mentioned above that I don’t like. As you know I’m usually extremely opinionated about this stuff but I enjoyed watching them all.
We’ll see who wins tonight’s show. I’ll share a few comments from the peanut gallery.
Here we go….so many dance troops and singers tonight.
Bad Boys of Ballet
- 6 guys. 1 girl. I like this group. They can DANCE and they are entertaining to watch.
Dom the Bombs Triple Treat
- They’re so cute but kind of missed the mark tonight. They’re still cute. I doubt if we’ll see them again. Oh well. It was fun. They’re good kids.
Emil and Dariel
- Two brothers who play the cello. They are wonderful. More than wonderful. I love these guys. The teens in the room loved them. They’re cute, sweet, talented and have a darling grandpa. A truly wonderful story and a great act. I’d love to see them win. They got a lot of votes from this group.
- Technically good but boring. I’d seen this before and before and before. Most high schools have dance groups like this. It was good but not a million dollar act. It was a basic cheer routine.
- He sang “Stay with Me.” The peanut gallery all said it was better than the original. He was wonderful. I’d buy his album. Johah you’re wonderful. You rock. You deserve it. Johah got a lot of votes from this group.
- Good act. Dangerous. Some here got bored. But he was very good.
- Keli Glover was on several years back. Didn’t realize that this is a talent show. A show. One contest. She should have followed her dream. She is hanging all of her hopes on this. Can’t do that baby. Keli Glover looked beautiful (but her dress did not fit well at all.) She has a beautiful voice. I don’t think she’ll win. She isn’t unique enough. I hope she does well, gets a gig, gets on YouTube, tours with someone big. You never know. I just don’t think she’ll win this one.
- Comments included; I kind of like it. They’re all wearing their shirts – that is good. I like it. Not too busy. Not tons of people. Different. It could have been a little more campy. Of course they don’t get as many cheers as the boy who can’t sing. This is fun. A lot of fun.
- Even the Vampires think this girl is creepy. The music and her act was just creepy. Yes, she does amazing things with her body but we had to fast forward. I wish her luck but it isn’t for us.
One Voice Children’s Choir
- A cute group of kids. Most of them can sing. Of course they sang a song from Frozen. BUT… I don’t like choirs like this unless I know the kids or it is a live program. The front kids could sing a bit, but every school has a group this good or better. It all sort of sounded like yelling after a while. Cute kids. I’m happy for them but they won’t get my vote.
- We are getting mixed reviews here in the peanut gallery of night folks. Some say HE IS AWFUL. Some say he is cute and he can belt out a song. He is good for a kid but I don’t think he’ll move on. On the other hand one never knows about this game.
- Cute slight of hand. How did he do that? He palmed it, but of course he did. But it is cool and nobody can see how he does it. Charming. And where did the fish come from? HA HA
The results will be on Wednesday night’s show. We’ll see who goes to the semi finals.
~ Juliette aka Vampire Maman